City of Hope Manager,Accounting Operations & Integrations in null, United States
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Medical Foundation, part of the Affiliated Group of City of Hope, is a California nonprofit that operates outpatient clinic facilities that provide an extensive range of medical care and treatment. The City of Hope Medical Group, a separate enterprise from City of Hope is composed of specialty physicians who deliver care to patients at City of Hope. Financial integrity of these two entities will be achieved through performing a thorough review of the month-end financials while also adhering the organization's policies and procedures pertaining to controls/good governance. The Manager role will also be expected to make recommendations on the current controls environment, which will include a strong review, assessment and stewardship of the governance/control environment for the two entities.
Initially, this position will focus on the integration of a large multi-site joint venture acquisition. Future acquisitions are expected and this role will lead the integration of these acquisitions.
Furthermore, this position will be accountable for various month-end close responsibilities, including but not limited to approval of journal entries, preparation of financial statements, establishing a methodology to ensure timely completion of the close process, and a monthly presentation of financial results to key business stakeholders. These items would require a strong overall understanding of the organization's financial position at month-end.
This position will also have a role in the annual City of Hope audit, as well as the annual Medical Group audit. As a result, the associate will need to have a strong knowledge of US GAAP, City of Hope Finance and Accounting Policies, as well as local/regulatory requirements.
As noted above, this position will also need to work closely with numerous groups across the organization to ensure consistent messaging, visibility of process and financial documentation, while also providing budgeting inputs when necessary. Key stakeholders will include the Medical Foundation Finance team, Foundation practice sites, and physicians when necessary.
Understand and support the institutional and departmental goals, strategies, and policies and procedures; work with direct reports in carrying out expected responsibilities and deliverables in an efficient manner while also promoting a deeper understanding of the organization throughout the team. Will need to be able to embrace change in the complex healthcare industry, adapting as necessary.
- Lead post-acquisition integration, wing to wing, for Medical Foundation.
- Create joint venture reporting package for newly acquired multi-site business.
- Develop and execute transitions plans. Develop acquisition-related metrics.
- Provide thorough review of controls & risk assessment for the Medical Foundation. Will include the creation, maintenance, and monitoring compliance of an overarching controls document for Medical Foundation.
- Supports the Director of Finance in providing an accounting assessment of the entity with recommendations for improvement.
- Act as single point of contact on all queries related to the Control and Governance environment.
- Support the close process (month and year-end). This will include (but is not limited to) working with the corporate accounting team, approval of journal entries, taking the lead in year-end tasks, preparation of financial data, and inputs relative to the year-end audit.
- Suggests process and system improvements to ensure accuracy, completeness and timeliness of financial data and reports. Seeks alternatives to resolve problems.
- Assists with auditors and provides necessary information regarding accounting procedures and data.
- Proactive identification and analysis of business issues and opportunities, including recommendations for future actions
- Assists auditors and provides necessary information regarding accounting procedures and data.
- Actively identify (and close) control gaps and various deficiencies within Medical Foundation.
- Ensure operating expenses are accurately stated via a monthly view of outstanding accruals.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or Business related field
- 4 years, preferably in an accounting or corporate finance role. Including managerial experience and demonstrated financial accounting skills and controls, as well as proven leadership and line management experience.
- Financial Analysis and Insights
- Financial processes
- Controls and Accounting
- Licensed CPA
- Master's in Business Administration or other preferred
- Acquisition Integration Experience preferred
- Exceptional management and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to motivate across organizational functions in achieving the enterprise's strategic goals
- Proven ability to translate financial data into information to drive sound business decisions, and deliver messages at the appropriate level for the audience
- Well-developed organization skills to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Ability to make sound decisions with minimal supervision
- Must have innovative mindset in ensuring that the organization is adapting accordingly with the changing environment
- Able to identify and mitigate risks that could jeopardize the integrity of the financial statements
- Strong track record in working independently and in a team setting, under pressure, and handling multiple deadlines
- Strong analytical capabilities coupled with the ability to identify issues, obtain mutual agreement as to the resolution and implement change.
- Strong GAAP and Financial Statement knowledge and internal controls experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Recommend innovative changes in the measurement of and the reporting of business results in order to better meet the dynamic needs of reporting requirements
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.