City of Hope Senior Systems Engineer in Irwindale, California
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer - Infrastructure Operations
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The SeniorSystems Engineer will be a hands-on for developing and building the VMware infrastructure . This engineer will also play a role in enterprise architecture as it relates to delivering infrastructure services to meet the goals and requirements for our Application Development teams. This candidate will have a mature understanding of ITIL process and support related practices.
- Implement, design and maintain information systems infrastructure and related enterprise technologies
- Oversee and troubleshoot operating systems and applications using OS-based, resource kit, and third-party tools
- Support a multi-server web farm running web based applications
- Utilize enterprise tools to manage, monitor and secure large enterprise data center environments
- Analyze failures to minimize outages and interruptions
- Monitor database and network performance; conduct testing to ensure optimal performing
- Experience working with Enterprise Virtualization Technologies, including the design, implementation, and overall architecture of VMware
- Maintain, improve, research, recommend and implement policies and procedures relating to network operations and infrastructure
- Oversee planning, coordination and support of complex and critical business processes and systems
- Oversee server and network infrastructure maintenance provisioning as needed
- Draft policies, prepare training manuals and conduct training sessions related to network and database operations
- Coordinate with network operations personnel and other business units on large-scale project management initiatives
- Proven experience performing server systems design, implementation and administration
- Must be able to analyze system kernel and able to provide root cause analysis for complex problems
- Defines, designs and architects systems communications and solutions
- Must have wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Responsible for handling the most complex systems and resolving the most complex problems
- Architects and Implements HA and DR strategy for virtual and physical systems
- May act as technical project leader or provide work leadership to lower level employees
- Works independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations.
- Progression to this level is typically restricted on the bases of business requirement
- Proven experience with server class hardware from major OEM Vendors (Dell, IBM, HP, Oracle etc.)
- Proven experience working with 32/64-bit based hardware
- Monitors data traffic and controls system resources and performance to ensure high quality of application service
- Interprets internal or external business issues and recommends solutions/best practices
- Actively participates or may lead in analyzing data and developing recommendations and action plans
- Leads and provides technical leadership to projects
- Solves complex problems; takes a broad perspective to identify solutions
- Ability to implement solutions utilizing Enterprise technologies
- Ability to effectively multi-task and successfully manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills in order to evaluate situations make recommendations and take prompt, effective corrective action.
- Participate in on-call rotation support for customer impacting issues that occur on evenings and weekends.
- Must have excellent written and communication skills
- Other duties as assigned and as technology needs evolv
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience defined as an amount equal to Minimum Experience in addition to the Minimum Experience.
- 5 - 8 years infrastructure architecture design experience in the areas of VBlock, VMWare, MSClustering, SQL Server, Storage, Cisco UCS
- VMWare\vRealize for orchestration or equivalent
- Excellent team player and team leadership skills
- Must be hands-on; this is not a role that will delegate
- Exceptional technical background
- Ability to articulate simple business solutions and project approaches
- Ability to be practical but make significant roadmap progress in a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to convey messages in a clear manner to executives and a highly diverse staff
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Administration experience with Symantec SEP and Altiris software deployment
Key Technologies that require hands on ability:
- VBlock - VMWare/UCS/EMC Storage (Candidate can have a solid strength in one and secondary knowledge understanding in other two; for example the candidate may be extremely skilled and experienced in Storage, but slightly less skilled in Compute and Network)
- MS Clustering â€ Provision cluster
- Symantec â€ SEP\Altiris experience
- SQL Server â€ Jr Admin level
- Citrix XenApp 4.X and above
- RightFax *Preferred not required
- Storage Related Skills/Knowledge: Storage platforms â€ EMC/HP 3PAR/PureStorage/Centera/Isilon/ATMOS *Preferred not required.
- Operating System Knowledge: Windows 2003, 2008, 2012 and Core / ESX 5.1 and 5.5 / Linux * Preferred not required.
- System Automation knowledge (Salt Stack, Cisco UCSD, VMWare vRealize and OpenStack)
A minimum of one Certification must be obtained within 18 months:
- MS 2008R2
- MS 2012
- Win 2012
- MS Visio
- MS Project
- MS SQL
- Win 2003
- Win 2008
- Win 2012
- MS Visio
- MS Project
- Win 2003
- Win 2008
- Flash TMS
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with dis ability. # LI-DA1 | *CB-DA dice