City of Hope Manager Quality Assurance in Irwindale, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Responsible for the development, implementation and continued support of the Medical Center Patient Access Quality Improvement Initiative. Includes conducting educational programs designed to meet the orientation, continuing education and regulatory agency requirements for all associates related to Patient Access functions, coordinating such activities within the enterprise to ensure consistent quality job performance, thus satisfying the needs of all internal and external customers. Provides staff development opportunities and oversees quality improvement/audit and systems support functions. Serves as a resource to other organizational areas. Supports the achievement of optimal patient outcomes and departmental operations by promoting individual growth, team functioning, and interdepartmental cooperation within the framework of shared decision-making and coordinated services. The Quality Improvement Manager must professionally interact with a variety of individuals.
Essential Functions:Essential Functions:
- Accomplishes appropriate patient access resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning work, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; administering timekeeping system; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Develop a culture of pride and ownership and provide opportunities for learning and growth. Ensures appropriate staffing levels throughout work week, reassess staffing levels to identify and achieves staffing optimization. Monitors and authorizes overtime when necessary. Schedule work assignments to ensure appropriate staffing coverage during regular office when scheduled and unscheduled absences occur. Provides timely decision making and direction to staff to streamline workflow, improve efficiency of operation and eliminate delays; re-assign work as needed.
Training Program Oversight
- Conducts training needs assessment to include methods of interviews, questionnaires, tests, group problems analysis, examination of existing standard work, training, coaching and quality monitoring. Documents training needs to address prioritized needs.
- Develops learning objectives, learning activities, structure and sequence for the learning objectives and activities, instructional media, materials and methods of instruction most appropriate for the particular group/individual and at the appropriate skill level.
- Translates the designed program into actual training materials and strategies.Completes lesson plan documents, choosing methods and media appropriate for each instructional event, times each section within the lesson to best utilize time, curriculum guides/outlines, workbooks, handouts, case studies, newsletters, exercises to support program lessons, audio-visuals and competency testing tools.Develops computer-based learning vehicles and identifies appropriate software to support learning initiatives.
- Schedules facilities, equipment and participants; conducts the instructional event through lecture and demonstration-based instruction, adjusting instruction methods to meet employee needs.
- Measures the impact training had upon employees and whether or not a change in behavior/actions occurred, through associate interviews, QA/QI audits and other documentation.Determines the strengths/weaknesses of the program, making adjustments to ensure improvements.Provides feedback to participants as requested during the training session, as well as feedback to management of the participantâ€™s competency.
- Delivery of excellence in service through user support and training for various defined patient access services.Documented outcome of improved staff quality and productivity, enhanced customer satisfaction, reduction of redundant and reworked job functions, and improved cash collection.
Oversees Quality/Audit Process
- In coordination with the departmentâ€™s management team, establishes call monitoring, rounding and audit tools. Oversees data collection and analysis, communicating data to appropriate areas in a timely, effective manner.Utilizes outcomes in the development of future educational programs and/or system/process redesign and to enhance user compliance.
- Functions as a facilitator or participant as required, providing consultative services or coordinating process improvement efforts among team members and ensures that all members are well-informed of changes. Assists in the design and development of workflow enhancements while monitoring congruency with key performance indicators.
- Handle special projects involve supporting work related to various strategic initiatives such as improving patient access, improving patient satisfaction, and implementing new systems.
- Gathers and compiles data and operates computer at an advanced level. Researches state-of-art teaching/learning tools and system technology advancements for possible application. Assists in maintaining user/systems/training databases. Performs data collection/analysis as required to enhance user compliance and understanding of processes. Negotiates for responsibility of tasks/projects.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
This position supervises quality assurance staff: specialists, coordinators, trainers, coaches, analysts
- Bachelorâ€™s or Masterâ€™s Degree in Business Administration/Healthcare or Finance preferred.
- At least 3 years quality assurance experience in a large call center environment.
- Training of trainers
- Six Sigma Black Belt
- Process improvement
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) in dealing with trainees, associates, and internal/external customers to ensure solid understanding/translation of teachings into actions. Serves as a change agent, coach, mentor and facilitator.
- Demonstrated teaching skills that enhances user learning and involvement. Conveys complicated information to users in a concise, user-friendly manner that ensures user competency and process compliance, while energizing usersâ€™ discussion and input.
- Comprehensive evaluation skills for determining skill and knowledge competencies of staff and trainees.
- Creative coaching and counseling skills when dealing with education and development issues.
- Creativity when designing instructional techniques and materials, as well as in making process recommendations.
- Effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Self-directed, global thinker with the ability to work with groups as well as individually. Must possess self-motivated spirit and seeks educational opportunities to increase professional competency.
- Flexible work style, tactful, poised, and patient. Ability to handle a high degree of pressure, heavy workloads, multiple requests, numerous interruptions, and short deadlines in a positive manner, establishing priorities for effective work completion. Adapts quickly to changing conditions, assimilating new processes into job functions and taking ownership.
- Effective time management and organizational skills to identify, prioritize and reach goals and objectives faster and easier, cope with multiple demands in a timely manner, and overcome changing priorities.
- Ability to successfully plan, monitor, support and improve multiple activities
- Capable of maintaining strict confidentiality within and outside the organization.
- Actively lives and demonstrates the City of Hope Core Values. Serves as a role model to others.
- MS Office, Outlook, SalesForce,EPIC, AVAYA
- Computer, fax machine, printer, copier, telephone
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Pressure due to deadline requirements
- Subject to many interruptions
- Atmosphere and environment associated with inpatient/outpatient areas
- Variable hours to meet needs of training associates at various locations
- Weekends as required to meet training schedules
- Occasional travel required
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.)
- Mostly sedentary work
- Occasional standing/walking
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.