City of Hope Staff Scientist in Duarte, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 13116
Job Title: Staff Scientist â€ Science and Grant Writing
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
This Project Development Scientist position will support project management, scientific writing, and clinical trial design for the City of Hope Brain Tumor Program. The Project Development Scientist will work closely with laboratory and clinical researchers, biostatisticians and the leaders of the Brain Tumor Program to shepherd projects from conception to grant submission, to clinical protocol, to manuscript. This team approach to clinical research offers continuity of intellectual and practical input, and is both efficient and rewarding.
- Facilitate team interactions throughout the life of a project
- Assist with identification of funding opportunities, grant writing and submission
- Coordinate clinical trial design, writing, and submission of clinical protocols
- Assist with Investigational New Drug Applications (IND)
- Organize manuscript writing, data presentation, and journal submission
- Work with investigators to assure the clarity and accuracy of data presentations, as well as the interpretation of results.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- PhD in biology, biochemistry, or other life science; or, a masterâ€™s degree with at least five years of scientific writing, clinical study design, or clinical trial regulatory experience in a healthcare/research/academic environment.
- Excellent scientific writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills are key. Must be Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, meet deadlines, perform and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, EndNote, Excel and Powerpoint. Prefer familiarity with Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator.
- Preferred Experience: NIH or DOD research grant writing (R01 level, not post-doctoral fellowships), involvement with human observational or therapeutic studies, protocol design/writing for human sample, observational/retrospective or therapeutic studies. Familiarity with data analysis techniques, graphing methods, and interpretation of laboratory and clinical data.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.