City of Hope Senior Manager, Support Services in Duarte, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Senior Manager of Support Services, working directly with the Director, Enterprise Support Services, holds responsibility for the ongoing management and evaluation of key Enterprise Support Services functions and vendors to insure that operational, regulatory, clinical and business requirements are met. Manages enterprise operational support areas of Environmental Services, Linen and Laundry, Lab coats and Uniforms, Waste Management, Pest Control, Window Washing, and Landscaping. Facilitates process improvements using LEAN and/or Six Sigma methodology, establishes metrics and targets, business requirements, and effectively manages budgets. Leads and develops project plans, highly effective at problem solving, and skilled at collaborating with senior leadership. Works with director to create future state enterprise strategy of key functions.
- Operations and Vendor Management: Manages the following vendor day-to-day functions: Environmental Services, Linen and Laundry, Lab coats and Uniforms, Waste Management, Pest Control, Window Washing, and Landscaping. To include performance metrics, visual boards, process improvement, insuring regulatory and compliance requirements are met. Requires strong people management skills in a matrixed environment. Establishes and monitors corrective action plans when needed. Runs vendor meetings and works with director to create strategy for each vendor.
- Process Improvement/Lean: Applies lean and/or Six Sigma process improvement skills to creating standard work and solving business problems. Has excellent data analysis skills, and can use data to solve problems and make business decisions. Skilled with creating and using performance metrics, visual boards, standard work, process mapping.
- Budget Management: Works with Director to establish and manage budgets. Assists the director with monthly operating review and variance reports. Provides significant input for the development of yearly budgets. Assures the organization is effectively and efficiently controlling expenses.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
The position directly supervises: City of Hope and contracted personnel assigned to support services
The position indirectly supervises: Project staff assigned to various projects within the support services functional areas
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in Business, Science, Healthcare or other relevant field of study.
- Five to seven years of management experience in the area of project management and/or operations management.
- Masterâ€™s Degree in Healthcare Administration
- 10 years of operations management
- Knowledge of LEAN and/or Six Sigma methodologies/practices
- Excellent business acumen
- Excellent Excel and data analysis skills
- Microsoft Office Suite required
- Motor vehicle
Working / Environmental Conditions:
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-RA