City of Hope Radiation Safety Assistant in Duarte, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Provides support and assists the Radiation Safety Department team to maintain compliance for all of the Radioactive material licenses.
- Receives, processes and delivers radioactive materials.
- Performs room preps for Sirtex, Lu177, I131 patients and other applicable preps
- Assists the Radiation safety staff with room clears
- Collects and performs instrument calibrations
- Performs wipe tests and assists in laboratory inspections.
- Assists the RSS with performing inventory/leak test for All sealed sources.
- Assists the RSS by responding to Portal Monitor alarms and performed monthly checks using Cs-137 check sources.
- Assists in the data entry of RAM inspections and maintenance of statistical data.
- Assists the RSS distribute Form 5 (annually); files and distributes exposure reports.
- Perform Cage Surveys (weekly)
- Assists in setting up newly approved RAM labs (Placarding, labels, etc.)
- Processes waste from room clears
- Assists the RSS in training sessions
- Assists the RSS in responding to radiation safety emergencies
- Assists the RSS in maintaining EH&S online database program for COH/BRI Radiation Safety program
- Assists the RSS in providing administrative support
- Assists in decommissioning radioactive laboratories
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists the RSS to follow established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following non-essential functions may be reassigned:
- Monitors and maintains quality control guidelines established within department.
- Assists the RSS compile data for and prepares regularly scheduled or special reports, analyses and statements.
- Assists the RSS in the education of students or staff.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- High School diploma or GED
- No experience required
- HazWoper Trainer Certification
- Provide support and assist the Radiation Safety Department team to maintain compliance for ALL of the Radioactive material licenses
- Must be able to type up to 50 wpm
- Must be knowledgeable in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Must possess excellent oral and communication skills
- Must possess a CDL be able to travel to satellite locations
- Decontaminate specific areas as necessary
- Involved in some weekend work
- Completes documentation accurately
- Detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Input data into computer programs
- Use computer packages
- Use word-processing software
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Fosters and promotes a positive image and professional appearance
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty with teamwork and confidentiality
- Word-processing required
- Liquid Scintillation Machines
- Calibrator Source
- Geiger Counters
- Air monitoring equipment
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus and other respiratory protective equipment.
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Potential exposure to microbiological hazards
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must be able to lift up to 25-50 pounds
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.