City of Hope Mandarin/Cantonese Bilingual (Read, Write Speak) Associate Patient Access Coordinator,CIM in Duarte, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Center for International Medicine (CIM) serves international patients that are coming from local and international locations to receive care at City of Hope. The CIM coordinates and supports the intake process, and supports patients and families during their entire experience at City of Hope. The CIM Patient Access Coordinator ensures that international patients are identified, provides intake guidance through email, phone or in person; obtains patient demographics, collect medical records, and completes registration. This role will schedule or facilitate the scheduling of patients for appointments as appropriate. The PAC coordinates with the clinical team to achieve high level patient satisfaction with the care experience. Provides back-up coverage of the CIM main patient intake desk.
- First point of contact for all incoming calls, emails, and web inquiries in regards to new patient referrals from international patients. Advise on international patient process and COH care/resources. Responsible for correspondence and coordination for all international inquiries.
- Facilitates scheduling of medical consultations, diagnostic tests and any other appointments required for patient's care.
- Performs intake related to patient demographics, collects medical records, and assists the triage nurse so the patient is assigned to appropriate physician lead for review.
Works with Financial Counselor to create charge estimates for care and communicates estimates to patients. Advises patient of international self-pay policy and payment terms. Hands off to finance team when appropriate.
- Facilitates access to all concierge services required by international patients (arrange hotel accommodations, transportation, local cultural services, etc...).
- Manages letters of authorization from payers and obtains extensions or new approvals as needed.
- Assess patient needs and work with Patient Nursing Coordinator and NPS Triage RN to ensure a smooth transition into care while helping the family and patient prepare for appointments.
- Scans all medical records into CIS prior to patient's scheduled appointment and confirms all records are appropriately filed in CIS.
- Assures all payer letters of guarantee and insurance pre-certifications for services are scanned and filed in the CIS prior to services rendered.
Maintains and ensures accuracy of working files for all new referrals and consultations
- Conducts initial patient and family orientation and introduction to care services.
- Provides on-going support during the entire patient experience, including both inpatient and outpatient visits.
- Facilitates the arrangement of interpreter services, as needed.
Acts as a liaison between patient's family and clinical and non-clinical teams as well as all third parties including embassies and payors.
- Acts as advocate for the patient and family. Works with Patient Nursing Coordinator for patient follow up upon discharge.
Participates in process evaluation and improvement activities
- Bachelor's Degree in healthcare, finance, business, communication, or related field.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 2-5 years of experience in a customer service based role, preferably in a healthcare/patient access role.
- Bilingual Mandarin/Cantonese Speak Read and Write
Computer literate. Familiar with Word and Excel, Keyboarding skills
EMR experience preferred
Ability to use multi-line phone system
- Position requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Good eye/hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment is also required.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.