City of Hope Dir, Insurance & Corp RiskMgmt in Duarte, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
At the overall direction of the General Counsel, this position oversees and manages the insurance programs of (i) City of Hope and its affiliates, and (ii) City of Hope Medical Group.
City of Hopeâ€™s Office of General Counsel has the overall responsibility of managing and administering the insurance programs at City of Hope. Under the direction of the General Counsel, the Director of Insurance and Corporate Risk Management will be working closely with the brokers and insurance administrator on all matters relating to insurance and corporate risk management at City of Hope. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for leading the procurement, maintenance and management of all insurance policies maintained by City of Hope and affiliates, and City of Hope Medical Group, with the exception of employee health and welfare benefit plans. Policies within the insurance program include, but are not limited to, professional liability, property, directors and officers, construction, business interruption, privacy and security, workers compensation, and others.
- Oversee the biannual third-party review of City of Hopeâ€™s insurance program.
- Assist the General Counsel in the preparation of annual reports regarding the insurance program to the Audit & Compliance Committee of City of Hopeâ€™s Board of Directors.
- Review and provide the General Counsel, leadership and other internal business constituents with guidance on insurance questions and requirements in certain proposed vendor, consultant and other third party contractual agreements, and manage the arrangement of certificates of insurance as required under contracts and for events.
- With the Office of General Counsel and leadership to analyze and identify risk exposures and provide alternative solutions/recommendations stemming from new ventures and organizational transactions.
- Manage the preparation of insurance applications in connection with annual renewals of City of Hopeâ€™s coverage lines. With input from City of Hopeâ€™s insurance brokers, present and discuss insurance renewal recommendations with City of Hope leadership.
- Build and manage relationships with City of Hope brokers.
- Manage the insurance administrator, and providing guidance and direction on the performance of the administratorâ€™s responsibilities and duties.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
The position directly supervises:
The position indirectly supervises:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in the insurance industry or in the area of corporate risk management.
- Insurance license or insurance industry designation (e.g., CPCU, ARM, CPHRM) is strongly preferred.
- Experience in healthcare is strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication, with strong focus on service to internal COH clients.
- Attention to detail, with solid proofreading and editing skills.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with other City of Hope departments.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. *LI-GM